“You are the business. People buy from you before they buy a product or service. Therefore, with influencer marketing,it is important to lead with personality. Show people who you are – there are many ways to do it via social media.”
These were the words of Janice B Gordon, multi-award-winning customer growth expert and global influencer marketer, to freelancers during a Safrea webinar in February. She shared valuable tips on how to enhance your online ranking so that brands approach you to influence their markets.
Tips to enhance your social footprint
- LinkedIn is the most popular business-to-business platform. Ensure a clear updated message, aimed at your ideal customer, using relevant keywords.
- Master your platform – check and respond to your messages daily. If you’re not on all platforms, use at least one platform really well.
- Post articles consistently to create a social footprint.
- Post audio files and videos to enhance engagement.
- Demonstrate your credibility, results, and achievements with a series of video content.
- Consider podcasting – it is going to be bigger than video.
- Have one goal for your content, add clear objectives to measure the results via analytics and repeat the cycle to achieve success.
- Use testimonials as social proof to show that you are good at what you do.
- Use your ideal customer’s language and keywords in your marketing material.
- Share the results your desired customer is looking for.
- Enhance your footprint by posting carefully selected images of yourself and demonstrating your personality and expertise on your website and social platforms. Start with a headshot captured by a professional Safrea photographer.
- Use your 3-4 keywords or phrases in all your messaging – regularly and consistently.
- Understand the triggers and events that create demand for your work.
- Maintain a global mindset and benefit from currency/seasonal fluctuations by moving your business around the world.
- Experiment with different marketplaces in order to source work in other countries.
Assessing real influence
- Resonance – Use peer validation, engage with other experts – it increases your influence to be connected and engaged with other influencers.
- Relevance – Regularly talk to other influencers about your subject and use keywords that describe your subject, industry, and yourself. This way people will be more likely to find your expertise.
- Reach – The number of people you are connected to and engage with on social media and in your email list, will be effective.
What is influencer marketing?
Influencer marketing is a form of social media marketing involving endorsements and product placement from influencers, people and organisations who have a purported expert level of knowledge or social influence in their field. There are four levels: Mega, Marco, Micro and Nano. The focus has moved away from Mega celebrities to other levels that deliver a better return on investment for brands.
Article created for SAFREA and written by